Monday, September 23, 2013

The troubles of life

"The Fault in our Stars" by John Green is the story of Hazel Lancaster. She meets this boy in her Cancer Support Group. I can pretty much say that these two will probably end up in love, but then she will probably die. That's the things with a lot of books nowadays: they're predictable! I hope this one doesn't follow the status quo, but a girl can only ask so much. This book kind of hits home for me though. My stepdad was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and I was hoping that I might find something in this book to help me through it. Cancer is confusing and troublesome. You don't really know how to act around someone afterwards. Do you just act like nothing is going on or do you talk to them about it and make them feel upset? That has been Hazel's struggle so far. Many people don't know how to act around someone that has an illness or a disease. You picture them as a time bomb and wonder when it will happen. And by "it" I mean death. Cancer skews perspective in an enormous way. It makes you second guess choices and realize that life is actually very short and today might actually be your last day.

1 comment: